I remember the first time it appeared on my finger. July 7, 2009. It was lighter then, with only a single stone. Even though the proposal wasn't a complete surprise, he still found a way to catch me off guard. We were serving as faculty at camp that we had both grown up attending. One that has been responsible for a lot of spiritual growth for us both. It only seemed fitting that this camp also be witness to another milestone in our lives. This camp had witnessed us choosing to live our lives for Christ and now seeing who would partner us in the journey.
The next time was May 16, 2009. Our wedding day. I remember standing nervously in front of friends and family. Terrified, not of my decision, but of all guests looking at us. Confident in giving my life to this man. The rings were placed, we kissed, and were announced husband and wife.
Fast forward two and a half years and I've somehow lost the ring. Not somehow, I took it off, it's due to my own absentmindedness. They had sautered the rings together and had gone too deep. The jewelry store was more than willing to fix it, however it meant that I would be without it for two weeks. I couldn't bear the thought. So instead, I have been following instructions not to submerge it in water. So for showers and for dishes, I've always taken the ring off. The irony that not wanting to be without this ring may have caused it to be misplaced forever is not lost on me.
Now I can't find it. I'm not sure where it went exactly. Tim and I have been looking everywhere, but it hasn't turned up. He has been VERY gracious and has even said that he will buy me a new one. But I don't want a new one. I want MY ring. The ring that held so much promise before the wedding. The ring I would stare at while counting down the days.
Almost a week had gone by before I realized something huge. I was so heartbroken, yet I haven't brought this to my Father. Maybe it had seemed trivial. Maybe I had forgotten that God is a personal God who cares about each of us. However, that night I realized that this was something that I needed to request of God who is capable of all. I prayed a simple prayer that night. I prayed that I would find the ring tomorrow. That the ring wouldn't be in plain sight, but it would be somewhere where I would think to look.
That morning I opened my eyes and expected it to be sitting on nightstand. It wasn't. It wasn't sitting in my jewelry box. It wasn't sitting in the office. Discouraged I went to work that day. I came home late that night and remembered my request. i checked again different places but found that my request wasn't coming through. Finally, an hour or two before bed, I went to the bathroom. I saw a glint next to our soap dispenser and found MY ring.
I am so thankful for a loving personal God who created the heavens, the earth, and all of us. Yet, He delights in answering small prayers, that stem from our foolishness. I'm not worthy Lord, but so thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment